ADVANTAGES OF GRAIN DRYING
The ability to dry grain increases both your harvesting opportunities and your ability to store and market grain at optimum moisture and temperature levels. To avoid deterioration grains must be stored below a certain level – generally below 12% for cereals and 5-9% for oilseeds. However, harvesting grain at higher moisture levels has many advantages…
- Harvesting earlier reduces in-paddock losses from shedding, bird/rodent damage and harvester losses. Yield losses are typically between 0.5% and 1% per day that harvest is delayed after grain maturity.
- Increased harvest window. Harvesting can commence sooner, harvesting days are longer and weather interruptions are shorter. All resulting in a shorter harvest time.
- Higher Quality including superior colour, viability and oil quality (in oil seeds) are achieved by harvesting at higher moisture levels.
- Direct-heading of crops usually windrowed (swathed) can become a viable option.
- Cropping in Wetter Climates is now viable in areas where humid harvest weather usually precludes cropping.
Grain crops that have been successfully dried in Kotzur drying silos include: wheat, barley, triticale, canola, maize, corn, popcorn, sorghum, peas, beans, sunflowers….
Generally in-silo drying is slower than a purpose built grain dryer and the moisture at which grain can be put into a silo for drying is limited by relative humidity. Despite this limitation, our system has a number of advantages:
- Significantly lower capital cost than conventional grain dryers.
- Lower energy consumption – up to 75% energy saving on conventional drying.
- Less handling of grain means less labour/equipment therefore lower handling costs.
- Achieve a desired moisture level. With careful use of outside weather conditions you can raise, as well as lower, moisture levels.
- Over-dried grain can be as detrimental as grain that is wet.
- Gentle drying-valuable crops will not be damaged by overheating as they can be by other drying systems.
- Problems such as grain cracking and loss of germination can be overcome with our system.
- No screens or perforated floors which can restrict airflow, require cleaning or slow grain discharge.
- We get maximum airflow with minimum trouble.
- Extremely fast aeration. Grain cooling can be achieved after drying in a fraction of the time it would take with conventional aeration.
Kotzur has the knowledge and expertise to help you with your grain drying requirements. Our support service will assist you in getting the most from your Drying Silo. For larger silo drying options please ask about our new louvred aeration system for on-ground silos.
How It Works
The Kotzur drying silo uses a specially developed and patented drying cone/plenum. The air is forced into this plenum and then passes through the grain mass.
Different drying silo models, fan combinations and grain have varying specifications, however the typical airflow is 15-20 litres per second per tonne of grain or a complete change of air in the silo each 25-50 seconds.
This airflow is 10-15 times that achieved using conventional aeration. The plenum design ensures that this air flow is uniform through the grain mass and is not restricted by screens etc.
|Model||Capacity M3||Capacity Wheat T (1)||Max Load T (2)||Height to Centre M||Height to Eave M||Nom. Diameter M||Outlet Height mm||Cone Angle||Auger Length(3) M (ft)||Footing Plan Style||Wide Load Pilots(4)||Centre Fill Size||Roof Inspection Hole (6)||Sight Glass Level (7) Indication||External Wall Roof Ladder||Wall Ladder Cage||Remote Opening Auto Sealing||Base Manhole||White Colorbond Walls Roof||Sealed Gastight|
|GPE 8-4-35D(5)||154||128||142||9.5||7.8||5.8||700||35°||16.6 (55′)||Round||Built on site||680mm||STD||STD||OPT||OPT||STD||STD||OPT||STD|
|GPE 10-4-35D(5)||257||213||236||10.3||8.2||7.3||700||35°||18.0 (59′)||Round||Built on site||680mm||STD||STD||OPT||OPT||STD||STD||OPT||STD|
|GPE 10-5-35D(5)||303||251||279||11.4||9.3||7.3||700||35°||19.9 (65′)||Round||Built on site||680mm||STD||STD||OPT||OPT||STD||STD||OPT||STD|
|GPE 10-6-35D(5)||349||290||321||12.5||10.4||7.3||700||35°||21.5 (71′)||Round||Built on site||680mm||STD||STD||OPT||OPT||STD||STD||OPT||STD|
- Wheat capacity based on typical consolidated/compacted bulk density in silo.
- Max. Load based on engineering design. This may not apply to products other than grain.
- Auger lengths are indicative only and are based on 35° angle.
- Pilot/Escort vehicle requirements may vary in certain locations (e.g. metropolitan areas).
- GPE Models are built on site – price does not include on site erection cost.
- Due to changes in OHS regulations, from Jan 2003 roof manhole and internal ladder are no longer supplied.
- One Sight Glass per wall strake is standard.
Brochures & Manuals
Kotzur's experienced sales team will help you find the best Storage Solution and delivery date to suit your needs.
2. Made to Order
All our silo parts are made to order at our factory based in Walla Walla (NSW). Other handling and processing parts are made at our factory based in Toowoomba (QLD).
3. Earthworks and Site Preparation
Get ready for the installation of additional storage by completing any necessary earthworks.
4. Delivery and Installation
Kotzur Silo delivery and building teams will be in touch with you to let you know when your order will be delivered and installed. The duration of the installation process varies depending of the complexity of the set up.