Grain aeration is a powerful tool that offers harvest flexibility and better control of grain quality in storage; therefore increasing marketing opportunities both at harvest and during storage.
Aeration provides optimal storage conditions by managing grain moisture and temperature. The benefits of aeration are:
- Inhibition of insect development
- Prevention of mould development
- Retention of seed viability
- Maintaining quality including colour, oil quality
- Reduction of grain moisture
Without aeration, grain in storage will retain its harvest temperature and moisture for long periods of time. This can lead to increase insect activity, moulding and quality degradation.
Visit GRDC to learn more about the benefits of silo aeration.